Friday, October 3, 2008

What did You have for lunch today?

I had a bagleful and some fresca today. Not exciting, but a week or so ago I treated myself to this: An amazing capreese salad with tomatoes and basil from the garden, fresh mozzarella, good, fruity olive oil and a sweet, smooth balsamic reduction.
So so so tasty. My 4 year old and I were in heaven!
We had a fabulous dinned a few weeks ago with some of my husband's co-workers, and had a capreese salad with balsamic reduction. I had to re-create!
Assembly is easy, just put sliced, vine ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced fresh mozzarella and a pile of fresh basil leaves that you have chopped on a plate in a pretty design. Drizzle with the best olive oil you have. Drizzle with Balsamic reduction. (recipe below) and eat!
Balsamic reduction
This one took me a few tries to get it the way I like. Makes a lot... refrigerate it and use frequently.
3/4 c good balsamic vinegar. ( I like the Kirkland brand you can get at Costco)
1 1/2 Tbs brown sugar (that is 1 tbs + 1 1/2 tsp for those of you who don't like kitchen math)
1 clove garlic, smooshed with side of knife and peel removed
Combine all in a saucepan and simmer for 10 min, until thick as cold syrup. remove garlic clove, and use. store in fridge.
***Moments of brilliance I cannot take credit for***
My Husband mixes some of this reduction in a small amount of mayo and makes amazing sandwiches that taste so gourmet! We really like it on grilled tomato and mozzarella sandwiches!

2 comments:

Emily said...

YUM YUM YUM This is my kind of dish!I will have to try the balsalmic reduction!

Ariana said...

Glad the reduction worked... I like to serve it with roasted sweet potatoes, sauteed granny smith apples, and pork tenderloin. Haven't made it since we lived in Oregon come to think of it!