Monday, September 22, 2008

Chili for a chilly day

Happy first day of fall! It is raining at my house today. All the wind and cold has me thinking about soup. I love soup. We tried this one a few weeks ago, and I was surprised at how good it was. I normally am not a big fan of red chili, and pepperoni is generally forbidden at our house. But I found Hormel turkey pepperoni and it is tasty and not greasy (thanks for telling me about it, Michelle). It has waaaay fewer calories and tons less fat than normal pepperoni. Still not health food, but okay for every once in a while. This soup is so good my kids gobbled it up, and my 7 year old asked for the leftovers the next night instead of what I had prepared for dinner. Really easy and really tasty. Perfect for this chilly, rainy day. Enjoy!Pepperoni pizza chili
1 pound ground beef
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1-1/2 cups water
1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon pizza seasoning or Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional

In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, pizza sauce, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, pepperoni, green pepper, pizza seasoning and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until chili reaches desired thickness. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.

No comments: