Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Good, not great.

I had a recipe for whole wheat peanut butter cookies on the inside of my cupboard, and the fist day of school was the perfect time to try them.
I cut the recipe from a newspaper, but I found the same recipe here.

Whole wheat peanut butter cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, honey, brown sugar and egg until smooth. Combine the whole wheat flour and baking powder; stir into the batter until blended. Roll into small balls, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Flatten slightly using a fork.
Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cookies are slightly toasted at the edges.
My kids liked these and didn't realize they were "healthier". My husband thought they were okay, but only ate one and walked away. I thought they were too salty, even though there was no salt in the recipe, and the peanut butter I used didn't taste salty. I had to add a bit extra flour, maybe a quarter cup, because the dough was so soft. Even then it was a very soft dough, no way you could roll it into balls.
I left out my cookies on the counter uncovered (on accident) overnight and today they are still chewy and not dry at all. The saltiness has even mellowed. I think they are definitely better today.
The kids like 'em, so I think I'll keep the recipe, but won't be taking these anywhere I need to wow people.

No comments: