Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tomato week: Part one

Holy tomatoes, Batman!
I have literally been pulling pounds of tomatoes out of my garden several times a week. They are taking over! So, I have been trying every tomato recipe I can find. Every meal I have made for the last 8 days has featured tomatoes. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. About 2 days into this and my 7 year old said, "Let me guess,mom, this week is tomato week and everything we eat has to have tomatoes in it."
I gave her peanut butter and jelly in her lunch box today.
Here is a new recipe we tried early on in "Tomato week"before baking

Tomato Onion Phyllo Pizza

5 tablespoons butter, melted
14 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
7 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 pound plum tomatoes, sliced
1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
Brush a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with some of the melted butter. Unroll phyllo dough; cut stack into a 10-1/2-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Discard scraps. Line bottom of prepared pan with two sheets of phyllo dough (sheets will overlap slightly). Brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers 5 times. (Keep dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel until ready to use to prevent it from drying out.) Top with layers of remaining phyllo dough; brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; arrange onion and tomatoes over cheese. Sprinkle with oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Yield: 28 slices.

We liked this pizza, but were not crazy about the crust. That might be because I found some phyllo dough in the back of my freezer and used that (I can't remember the last time I purchased phyllo...)and so it tasted a little...dusty.

I used walla walla sweet onions, because they are SOOO good. I also used basil instead of oregano because that is what I had growing in the garden. Although I love the way my pizza looked and it was nice to be able to cut slices without onion for the kids, I should have mixed the onions and tomatoes together more. The best flavor was tomato and sweet onion in the same bite. We will be making this again, but I will try using puff pastry for a crust and call it a tart. Or maybe I will just use phyllo that is not years(?) old.

1 comment:

Ariana said...

Hahaha "dusty". Once several years ago I made some spaghetti with meat sauce using ground beef from the nether regions of the freezer. Oh it was foul. haha Cursed freezer burn.

Your pizza looks really good....I've got oregano back there somewhere under the mint if you need some.