Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tomato week: part two

Sorry I have been MIA lately. It was cake week(s). I'll post pictures of those HERE soon. But, I have a whole bunch of recipes I have been trying to post here, So I will update this blog more frequently. (I hope)
Here is another recipe from our tomato week. (which actually never ended and has turned into tomato month...) It is delicious. You've gotta try it. We will be eating it again before our tomatoes are gone.
(found it in Taste of Home magazine)
Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup shortening
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
FILLING:
2 cups chopped plum tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
Directions: In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate; transfer pastry to plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool completely. Place tomatoes in the crust; sprinkle with salt, basil, pepper, onions and cheeses. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, eggs and milk until smooth. Pour over filling. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
Do NOT skip out on this crust. It is awesome with the quiche. And it is easy to make and work with.

Next time, we are going to add jalapenos and bell peppers from our garden ...maybe some cilantro as well. Yum!

1 comment:

Spectacular Six said...

I must concur, it is delicious! I saw this last night about 4:10, and made it for dinner! I had to modify a few things as I was not running to the store for evaporated milk and green onions. It worked just fine with my walla walla sweet onion and regular milk. I had the leftovers for breakfast. I love home grown tomatoes. So much sweeter and just fresh!